The Jamaica Guild of Artists has begun a collaboration with the UWI’s Regional Headquarters Building, home of the UWI Museum, which directly benefits the museum.
Two walls in the building’s Elevator Lobby have been designated to host a changing exhibition of work by members of the Guild, with the museum receiving a percentage of any sales.
Guild officer Betty Glanville recently announced that the first sale, a work titled Poncianna Blossoms, had been made, and handed over a cheque while JGA members mounted new works on the walls. The present incarnation of the Guild dates back to 2009, however the roots reach back to 1965. Recently, the Guild has focused on representing its members and helping to encourage the development of technical and product development skills. Achievements over the years include several group shows and the self-publication of a book titled The Art of Jamaica: A Prelude, written by Dr Wayne Lawrence, himself an artist and member. The book features the work of 18 Jamaican artists through their own eyes and stories.
SUPPORT RELEVANT TO EXHIBITION
The UWI Museum’s present feature exhibition, The Legacy of A.D. Scott, focuses on the work of engineer, builder and art patron Ainsworth David Scott (1917 – 2004) who was the university’s first Resident Engineer, starting in 1949 and who became a major supporter of Jamaican artists and collector of Jamaican and Caribbean art, especially in the period after political independence in 1962.
Left and right, tertiary students checking out the exhibition, which ends July 18.